When you suffer from a heart attack, various forms of heart disease, or are recovering from heart surgery, cardiac rehabilitation is often part of your recovery. Cardiac rehabilitation at St.Vincent Heart Center is a personalized exercise and educational program designed to help you return to a normal, active lifestyle, while reducing your risk for future cardiac problems.
Benefits of cardiac rehabilitation include:
- Healthier blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Reduced dependence on medication
- Better endurance for exercise and daily activities
- Greater comfort performing daily activities
- Ability to return to work
- Additional knowledge about your heart health
- Improved survival rates
- Improved functional status and quality of life
Phases of Cardiac Rehabilitation
Cardiac rehabilitation at St.Vincent Heart Center is divided into three phases:
- Phase 1 is an educational phase that occurs during a patient’s hospital stay. Patients learn about their heart condition, the importance of heart-healthy living and what to expect during the remaining phases of their cardiac rehabilitation.
- Phase 2 is a structured exercise and educational phase that includes the guidance of St.Vincent Heart Center Cardiac Rehab staff. Programs are customized for each patient with the help of his or her case manager. Most major insurance companies cover Phase II Cardiac Rehab.
- Phase 3 is a “maintenance” phase in which patients pursue their ongoing cardiac rehab independently. St.Vincent Heart Center Cardiac Rehab staff continues to assist patients with blood pressure and heart rate measurements, but each patient exercises and maintains his or her logbook independently. Phase III Cardiac Rehab at St.Vincent Heart Center is $60 per month and is not covered by insurance.
Qualifications for Cardiac Rehabilitation
Any patient who has suffered from a recent cardiac event typically qualifies for cardiac rehab. Cardiac events include:
- Heart attack
- Open heart surgery
- Balloon angioplasty
- Heart transplant
- Valve replacement and repair
What to Expect During Cardiac Rehabilitation
Your First Day
You will meet with your case manager for a one on one meeting lasting approximately one hour. He or she will interview you, review your medical history, and with your input, begin to create your individual program. You will be oriented to the exercise area and encouraged to ask any questions you may have. Exercise on the first day is minimal and usually consists of a six minute walking test. And always remember to dress comfortably.
The cardiac rehabilitation staff consists of one nurse and three exercise physiologists who have special training and expertise in cardiac diseases and exercise progression.
Feel free to contact us with questions or concerns.
Outpatient Cardiac Rehab at St.Vincent Heart Center
8333 Naab Road, Suite 340 (Entrance/Door 6)
Indianapolis, IN 46260
Hours: Monday and Wednesday, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. *
Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
* Please note on Tuesday and Thursday the office is open for phone calls, but not treatments, as the team is working with pulmonary rehabilitation patients.