There is a significant reason why St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana is the busiest non-cardiac thoracic surgery facility in the state and one of the most respected centers for non-cardiac thoracic surgery in the nation: we are one of only two hospitals in Indiana with non-cardiac thoracic surgeons on staff, and the only hospital in Indiana performing minimally invasive thoracic procedures. We are also one of only four centers in America performing thymectomies with the da Vinci robotic surgical system.
Specializing in cancer of the lung and esophagus, infections of the lung and chest, airway disorders, and other lung and gastroesophageal procedures, our thoracic surgeons perform more thoracic procedures than anyone else in Indiana. Today, most procedures can be performed using minimally invasive techniques that provide numerous benefits to patients, including shorter hospital stays, shorter recovery times, small incisions, and less post-operative pain.
Minimally invasive thoracic procedures performed at St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana include:
- Endoluminal treatment of tracheal, bronchial, and esophageal strictures, fistulae, and perforations
- Esophageal tumor and diverticuli resection
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment
- Pleural biopsy
- Esophageal surgery
- Mediastinal tumor resection
- Thymectomy for tumor and myasthenia gravis
- Thoracoscopic lung resection (including lobectomy)
- Thoracoscopic treatment of pleural and pericardial infections and effusions
- Thoracoscopic sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis
In addition, patients with cancer who are referred to St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana have access to the Thoracic Malignancy Clinic, which offers comprehensive cancer care through a multidisciplinary team of medical and radiation oncologists, plastic surgeons, pulmonologists, pain management specialists, and others. The clinic helps patients with lung cancer realize better outcomes and improved surgical results by planning and implementing an individualized course of care.